The Bull Baiting Yard can be identified from White’s map of 1792. The circular depression
about 15m in diameter is almost certainly the bull pit.
Looking east across the Bull Baiting Yard. The bull pit is visible in the centre
below the hawthorn bush growing on its north bank
The pre-1836 road south of the Bull Baiting Yard looking east. The ranging pole is
on the edge of its south bank. The parish and county boundary is on the left of the
photograph, along the stone wall of the field.
Cock fighting ground
At ST 41645729 on the north side of The Lynch on the line of the footpath from the
Triangle. On White’s map of 1792 called a ‘cock skayling plot’. Skayling is a mediaeval
word for gambling. The area is now occupied by a dwelling, the footpath having been
moved to accommodate it.